Thursday, February 10, 2011

Healthy Fruit Shakes

After eating Neapolitan cake at 7 am this morning and stowing handfuls of raspberry meringues in the pouch of my sweatshirt for later, I decided an intervention was in order.

Cutting all sugar out of my diet is out of the question.  I need my sugar.  But after experiencing the diabetic coma that followed my morning escapade with the cake, I realized I need some treats with a little less sugar and a lot more nutrition.



I bring you fruit shakes.  Containing just fruit, yogurt, orange juice, maple syrup and cinnamon, they’re a healthy snack or dessert.  They pack just the right amount of sugar to satisfy your cravings, but also provide the nutritional benefits of fruit and yogurt.  Plus, they take less than five minutes to prepare.

Top with whipped cream and heart shaped sprinkles, and you’ve got an easy and delicious Valentine’s day dessert!

Strawberry Shake
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
1 cup vanilla yogurt
3 tablespoons orange juice
4-5 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Banana Shake
1 very ripe banana
1 cup vanilla yogurt
½ cup orange juice
4-5 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon cinnamon

1. Simply puree all the ingredients together in a blender and serve chilled.  Top with whipped cream if desired.


Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm...your shakes look wonderful! I'll take a strawberry, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is more than a happy medium for your sugar fix. Refreshing and tasty. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I wish I could have a bite of that neapolitan cake! These do sound a lot healthier though. And they sound yummy good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eugenia, Your smoothie looks lovely and refreshing... I've come to enjoy your blog and I present you with a STYLISH BLOGGER AWARD! Please take this link to my post to read the details. http://bit.ly/i5cUlV Best, Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the stylish blogger award, Brooks! What an honor!!

    Eugenia

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...